DSS DG never loot staff funds, says spokesman

Director of Public Relations and Strategic Communications, Department of State Services, Peter Afunanya, has denied the allegation that the Director General of the DSS, Yusuf Bichi, looted a subsidy grant meant for the employees of the agency.

Afunanya, who noted that no such grant had been allocated to the agency, promised that it would be disbursed to the workers as soon as it was made available.

The DSS spokesman, who disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists on Saturday, explained that the “goodbye allowance” which the DG was accused of granting himself did not exist.

The statement partly read, “The Service hereby states that the allegations are entirely false. It wishes to clarify that neither the DG nor anyone acting on his directive has looted staff subsidy grant.

“No such grant has been made available to the Service and once that is allocated, staff will, as usual, receive what is due them. Mr Bichi has, in all ramifications, evidently catered for the welfare of active and retired personnel. This is common knowledge and can be verified.

“Similarly, the so-called ‘goodbye allowance’ which the DG was accused of granting himself is non-existent. It is only the imagination of the writer and his sponsors. But assuming the DG is paid any severance package at the end of his tenure, how is that unethical and outside the established public service rule?”

“While at his mischief once again and the writer has continued to smear the image of Mr Bichi as well as present him as corrupt, facts at the DSS show otherwise.

“Recalled from retirement in 2018 and appointed the DGSS, Bichi is seen as spartan, accountable, transparent and indeed, incorruptible. He has remained resolute in running the Service and shown uncommon commitment in the management of its affairs,” it added.

While urging the citizens to disregard the allegations, he said the DG would seek redress in court.