Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police Force, has announced successful arrest of seven (7) male suspects for the offences of kidnapping, armed robbery, food poisoning and recovered different items, including two (2) locally made pistols with five (5) live cartridges, one (1) tricycle and four (4) mobile phones.
The breakdown and brief history of these breakthroughs according to a statement signed by the PPPR, ASP DANIEL E. NDUKWE were as follows:
Arrest of Armed Robbery Suspects:
* On 07/04/2020 at about 1000hrs, acting on intelligence, Operatives of the Command attached to Abakpa Police Division arrested one Nweke Friday, aged 32yrs, at Ogwuege, Abakpa-Nike, Enugu after him and other members of his gang, now at large, robbed a victim of a Tecno phone at gunpoint. One locally made pistol with four (4) live cartridges, two phones and a black bag were recovered from the suspect. Further investigation to arrest and bring to book other fleeing members of the gang, alleged to have been terrorizing the area, is ongoing at the Command’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
* On 07/04/2020 at about 0020hrs, Operatives of Command attached to Uwani Police Division, while on patrol along Onwudiwe by Ohafia Street, Uwani Enugu, arrested one Chukwuemeka Ani, aged 23yrs; Chidera Chukwu, aged 21yrs; and Udoka Nwalo, aged 38yrs, and recovered a suspected stolen Bajaj tricycle, yellow in colour, with Reg. No. ENU 600 VL, two (2) knives and two (2) iPhone phones they robbed from different victims at Niger Foundation Hospital, Independent Layout, Enugu. Preliminary investigation shows that the suspects, who have been terrorizing Uwani and other parts of Enugu metropolis, were fleeing from the Ogui axis in the alleged stolen tricycle when they were apprehended. The case is undergoing further investigations at the Command’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
* On 28/03/2020 at about 0114hrs, Operatives of the Command attached to Oji-River Police Division, while on routine patrol along Enugu/Onitsha highway within the Umumba/Ezeagu axis of Enugu, arrested one Uchechukwu Nwafor, aged 30yrs, who had fallen off a moving motorcycle in an attempt to escape being apprehended by the Operatives. One (1) locally made pistol and a live cartridge was recovered from him. The case is undergoing further investigation at the Command’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
- Arrest of a Kidnap Suspect: On 06/04/2020 at about 1725hrs, Operatives of No. 3 Police Mobile Force Enugu, while on stop and search along Enugu/Onitsha Highway, arrested one Abdulmuminu Alhaji Sani, aged 32yrs, and took him to Oji-River Area Command for necessary action. Preliminary investigation reveals that the suspect was involved in the kidnap of one Sergeant Sale Shehu attached to No. 3 Police Mobile Force, Enugu at Obioma in Udi LGA of the State on 09/09/2018 at about 1830hrs. Further investigation into the case is ongoing at the Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
- Arrest of a Food Poisoning Suspect: Following a report made at Central Police Station, Enugu on 08/04/2020 at about 1400hrs, Operatives of the Command attached to the Station arrested one Okonkwo Sunday, aged 52yrs, for allegedly emptying a can of a suspected toxic liquid substance on about 143 bags of garden eggs worth N729, 000.00 at Akwata sub-market of the Ogbete Main Market, Enugu. Investigation to ascertain the real motive(s) of the suspect as well as apprehend and prosecute accomplice to the crime is ongoing at the State CID.
- Consequently, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad Abdurrahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, while commending the efforts of the dogged Officers, security stakeholders and the law-abiding citizens of the State for the collaboration and support that made these achievements possible, has reiterated his commitment to always get tough on unrepentant criminal elements in order to achieve maximum public security and safety in the State, especially these in trying times of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- To this end, the CP has charged all Area Commanders, DPOs and Heads of Tactical/Operational Departments of the Command to redouble their efforts and be resolute in curbing crimes and criminality in the State.
- Meanwhile, the peace-loving citizens of the State have been called upon to promptly report suspected criminals and acts of criminality to the nearest Police Station or by contacting the Command on 08032003702, 08075390882 or 08086671202 or by sending electronic mails to firstname.lastname@example.org.